Where has the summer gone? Those few months you look forward to all year are nearly over and that can only mean one thing…university must begin!
Now you’re probably worried about starting university – and who wouldn’t be? A new city, new friends and new lecturers can be a scary thought… but here at UCB you needn’t worry – we’re a friendly bunch!
Here’s 3 tips to help you settle into your new found independence and thrive on it.
1. Put yourself out there!
Don’t be afraid to leave your comfort zone, at least for the first few days. Make an effort to get to know your flatmates but don’t be disheartened if you don’t get on, there are plenty more people to get to know including other flats, course mates and societies.
- Prop your door open – invite people in for a chat and get to know one another.
- Be social – join societies, create a group chat for your flat, society or course and arrange a get together or a night out.
- Remember, university is a fresh start! Be yourself.
2. Start as you mean to go on
And I don’t mean downing litres of vodka! A little is fine – you are a fresher!
- Prepare yourself – make sure you have all of the right equipment for your course.
- Routine – get yourself into a routine and follow it. You’ll thank yourself when you have 9am lectures to get up for…
- Fail to prepare and prepare to fail – just because your first year doesn’t impact your final grade, doesn’t mean you should give it no thought. Start as you mean to go on.
3. Maximise your independence!
For many freshers, it’s their first time away from home and naturally, they will be worried. “Independence?! I don’t want to grow up” might be a common thought. Believe me, you’ll love your new found independence!
- Get yourself a job – it will help you fuel those boozy weekends and enhance your CV at the same time.
- Explore the city – Birmingham is a fantastic place to live. If you’re in The Maltings halls you’re right on the door step of bars, clubs and restaurants…there is always something to do or see.
Remember – university is what you make of it. Grab it with both hands and you’ll achieve great things! UCB can only provide you with the platform to do so – the rest is down to you.