Another busy week on my work placement has gone by and it was a very hot week too – lovely weather for weddings but not so lovely to be in the kitchen! I spent the weekend out of Birmingham with two weddings to cater for, one of them in Oldcastle, a hog to roast Sunday morning and another wedding later in the afternoon in Cheltenham.
Saturday’s wedding in Oldcastle had 150 guests and a selection of five canapés, including Chipolata Sausages with a honey & mustard glaze, Manchego Croquettes with Quince Jelly, Smoked Salmon & Chive Creme Fraiche en croute as well as the two canapés in the pictures below.
Garlic and rosemary studded whole leg of lamb carved at the table/Heritage tomato and red onion chutney tart with dressed pea shoots served with:
- Sweet potato and pomegranate bulgur wheat salad
- Warm Garlic Roast Baby New Potatoes, with Bacon & Rosemary
- Warm Tenderstem Broccoli and Asparagus with Toasted Almonds
- Courgette, Charred Corn and Parmesan Salad
As preparation for the events we had for Sunday, me and the Head Chef of the Caviar & Chips team stayed overnight in a stunning B&B with peaceful surroundings as you are basically surrounded by nature. Conveniently it was just 2 minutes drive away from the Oldcastle venue, the house was very cosy and we got a warm welcome by the very kind hostess who also made us a delicious English breakfast in the morning as well as croissants. They also make their own selection of fresh juice, from their orchard dating back to the 16th century.
The reason why we stayed over in accommodation near the venue was due to needing to start the hog roasting around 6am so it could be ready to start serving around 1pm. We were on a tight schedule as we needed to drive to the next wedding in Cheltenham rejoining the rest of the team during service. There is always something unpredictable now and then in catering that may cause delays.
Last Wedding of the week (Cheltenham)
The wedding was set up in a garden marquee. We arrived right after canapes were being served making it in time before the wedding breakfast began. The wedding day was marked with Polish traditions, songs, games and there was lots of vodka going around so it was very lively and went on till 12.30am.
Caviar & Chips Bespoke menu
- Pea & Mint Soup, Garnished with Braised ham hock, crisp onions & fresh mint.
- Pea & Mint soup (VG) Garnished with Crisp Onions & Fresh Mint, served with Artisan Bread.
- Braised Blade of Beef, served with Rosemary New potatoes & seasonal Vegetables.
- Roast Squash & Beetroot Wellington (VG), served with rosemary new potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
A selection of fruit & sweets:
- Scones with Jam & Cream, Shortbread
- Lemon Drizzle cake, Chocolate Brownie, Szarlotka (Apple Pie) and Sernik (Cheesecake)
Unfortunately as service begins it becomes difficult for me to get the time to take photos and I don’t always get pictures of all the courses.
Thank you for reading!