Life at UCB through the eyes of our student bloggers

Getting started at Uni

Getting started at Uni

Hello again everybody!

Since August has come to an end and uni is around the corner, I’ve received many enquiries as some people seem to be perplexed as to what they need to bring with them for their enrolment/induction at UCB.

To keep things simple, organise all your documents that have been submitted to the University already. This includes your academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, proof of identity obviously and any other documents that may have been asked of you during the application process.

National Insurance Number

In case you’re an international or EU national moving to the UK to study and wish to work while you are here, you will have to make a call to the National Insurance office. I recommend you do this as soon as you can and early in the day, as the line will get congested and you will probably find yourself on hold for almost an hour at least. You might be waiting for over a month after you make your appointment with them. Here is the link for more info.

Proof of Residence

When you arrive at the uni, if you already have student accommodation, go to the 1st floor in the Summer Row building and request your proof of residence. This is vital for you as you need to acquire a National Insurance number or even a bank account. For all you bibliophiles, you will also need that to become a member of the libraries. In the case of The Library of Birmingham right by Cambrian Hall, you can get up to seven books on loan.

Birmingham Library Rooftop


I’ll leave you all with this page: Save The Student. It includes freebies, discounts and deals and even comparisons on the benefits you can get on student bank accounts so you can find some tips here too.


Have a great week!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *