Today I decided to talk about the £44 million investment into the new University College Birmingham campus, Moss House. This is an elite building featuring cutting-edge facilities for everything from nursing and social work to physiotherapy and sport and fitness. The new building is the latest phase of a £130 million investment into the University since 2014.
The brand new luxurious building provides approximately 13,000 sq m of new spaces and facilities, including the Guild of Students, several teaching and learning spaces, retail units, sports facilities, a spa, a restaurant and car park. The site is adjacent to McIntyre House at the junction of George Street and Holland Street.
The new facilities include:
- cutting-edge gym, injury and massage clinics;
- six-bed replica hospital ward with integrated filming and audio equipment;
- three 100-seat lecture theatres;
- glazed study pods to discuss projects and mind-map ideas;
- hired@UCB careers, employability and placements service;
- Enterprise Hive service to help budding entrepreneurs with start-ups;
- An American-style student diner with on-trend industrial pizza oven;
- The Living Room coffee shop and a spacious courtyard.
The building was created by the GHA project (Glenn Howells Architects), which won the competitive design competition created by UCB to find an architect to handle the project. The building has been constructed with red bricks blending into the Jewellery Quarter atmosphere, and it was designed to celebrate the architectural heritage of the Jewellery Quarter Conservation Area.
As soon as we walk in we are greeted by the central atrium which is flooded with natural light. It features a beautiful wooden staircase where comfortable seating can be found, spread out throughout the whole edifice, providing a warm feeling to the scenery.
I’m planning to start using the gym facilities there and will be able to show you them better and maybe talk about some fitness in a future post once I get a membership on my next day off. For less than £40, you have full access to all gym facilities until this year at uni is over – what a bargain!
See you next week!