Eating food in season is one of the most effective ways to reduce waste, energy and cost in your regular shop. By keeping track of what foods to look out for this month, you can keep your diet fresh, eat vegetables when they taste their best and change up your usual meals. October is one of the best months for foodies in the UK within the key harvest period for so many delicious vegetables and fruits.
- Pak Choi
Try and include more of these ingredients in your regular meals. October is one of the easiest times of year to do this with beetroot, pumpkin and kale being super easy to include in pasta and curried dishes. Have a go at the recipe I have written below if you need some extra inspiration for autumnal food.
Recipe – Roasted Autumnal Vegetables and Halloumi Wraps
I’ve just included a simple recipe to make some delicious vegetarian wraps with seasonal ingredients and not too much washing up.
- 1/2 a butternut squash
- 1 red onion
- 2 cooked beetroots
- 1 large carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2tbsp sunflower/vegetable/olive oil
- 1tsp of dried mixed herbs
- 1tsp of cajun spice or 1/2 paprika and 1/2 tsp of cayenne
- 1 pack of halloumi
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Large wraps
- First using a knife, slice off the skin on the butternut squash, peel the carrots and peel the red onion.
- Next roughly dice the squash so it is in around 2cm cubes, dice the beets to a similar size, halve the onion and cut each half into four pieces. Slice the carrots into pieces half the size of the squash. Peel the garlic cloves.
- Mix all the vegetables with the oil and spices so they are coated, and place on a baking tray.
- Cook the vegetables in the oven at 200°C for 25 minutes
- While the vegetables are cooking, cut the halloumi into even chunks, around 1cm wide and 2cm long, season with cayenne pepper and lightly coat in oil.
- After the vegetables have been cooking for around 25 minutes, add the halloumi to the tray and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Warm up the wraps in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Remove the roasted vegetables and halloumi from the oven and serve on the wraps with some salad. Add dressings such as sour cream, guacamole or tzatziki if you would like.