Hey, how are you all doing?
I’m going to share a really exciting thing with you all today: my favourite cake recipe ever!! Oh, and let me add, it’s vegan… not that you’d know it, so don’t let that put you off!
Lockdown has caused many of us to love banana bread and this recipe is a combination of a banana/coffee/biscoff cake – and let me tell you, it’s an absolute delight!
- 180g plain flour
- 180g whole wheat flour
- 100g light brown sugar
- 200g white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 140ml coconut oil (melted)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp biscoff spread
- 1 double espresso (room temperature)
- 250ml plant-based milk
- 6 biscoff biscuits
- 50g biscoff biscuits
- 60g dairy-free butter
- 2 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 450g icing sugar
- 10 biscoff biscuits
- Preheat oven to 200°C with 2x20cm cake tins greased and lined with baking paper, I used one big square tin this time because I wanted a tray bake effect.
- Pour the flours, sugars, salt and baking powder into the mixing bowl and mix.
- Mash the banana and add it to the bowl along with the melted coconut oil, biscoff spread, espresso and plant-based milk. Fold everything together with a spatula. Roughly break the biscoff biscuits and pour them into the bowl and fold them into mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into the cake tins and bake for 20-30 minutes until golden.
- While baking, make the icing. Put the biscoff biscuits in a food processor and blitz them into a fine powder. Add the dairy-free butter, dairy-free milk and maple syrup to the processor and blitz them until everything comes together. Add the icing sugar to the processor and blitz into a thick icing.
- Take the cakes out of the oven, transfer them to a cooling rack and let them cool down to room temperature. Spread half the icing on top. Put the second cake on top of the first and repeat the spreading stage until all the icing has been used.
- To decorate, break biscoff biscuits into small breadcrumb-sized pieces and sprinkle them over the top of the cake, then serve. I did cheat this time and didnt make the icing for the simple reason that it is absolutely boiling right now and as soon as I took the butter out the fridge it melted. This cake is also great without icing as it is a lovely fudgy banana bread-like texture!
This recipe comes from BOSH, my favourite vegan food makers!
If you make this cake let us know, I promise it will be worth it 😍