In my second year of my course, I did a module all about personal and professional development. At the time, I thought it was a waste of time, I won’t lie. But having completed the module, I can see how valuable it really was. I gained some really valuable work experience and learned a lot about myself in a professional environment.
When I finished that module, I decided I wanted to keep up my development – even though it can’t be a priority while I’m completing my degree, I wanted to keep doing little bits. I looked up tips for personal growth and found six tips that I would like to share with you.
- Keep learning. Obviously, I’m learning every day in university, but I decided I wanted to learn something completely different. I’ve started to learn Mandarin on Duolingo. Languages are really valuable and stand out to potential employers. I’m using the free version of Duolingo and it’s great for learning the basics, I would really recommend it!
- Volunteer. I’ll be honest, volunteering is something I just don’t have time for currently because I’m working on my dissertation, but it is something I am considering over the summer.
- Get creative. Creativity is great for the mind and promotes self-awareness. My course is very creative, especially the ‘Creative Innovation’ module I’ve just completed! So, for the sake of this year, I’m going to consider my course as being creative enough.
- Experience new things and places. I’ve decided to try something new every month. Simple things will do because I don’t have much money or time! So far in January, I’ve been to a new restaurant with my boyfriend – it was called Sabai Sabai in Birmingham and I would definitely recommend it!
- Make your health a priority. I’ve been needing to do this for a while and so far, it’s going well. I’m going to the gym three times a week and I’m really enjoying it.
- Evaluate your life. There’s a million ways you can self-evaluate. I decided to do a five-year plan – I looked at where I am now and where I want to be in five years. I then noted all the steps I need to complete to make my goals a reality.