Life at UCB through the eyes of our student bloggers

Getting Into Teaching

Getting Into Teaching

If any of you have read my bio, you’ll know I’m a third-year Digital Marketing BA (Hons) student. So, you might wonder why I’m writing a blog about becoming a teacher. As much as I love digital marketing and have no regrets studying it, I have decided I want to teach!

Over the last few weeks, I have done so much research and I have spoken to loads of industry professionals, I’m not saying I’m a pro, but I know my stuff! If you have no interest in teaching or becoming a teacher, I apologise but this week’s blog may not be for you.

Personally, I have decided I want to teach secondary school Maths. When I decided, I honestly didn’t know if it would be possible, as my degree had nothing to do with Maths and I could barely remember any of what I had previously studied! I took A-level Maths and got a C, and after a conversation with my teaching advisor, I found out I would have to complete a course called a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course, and then I would be good to go with the teacher training!

My teaching advisor is great, and most people are eligible for one if they have a 2:2 degree or higher. I highly suggest applying for a teaching advisor if teaching is something you’re interested in. They’re completely free and will help you with everything – the application process, interviews and writing your personal statement. Visit GOV.UK to apply for one.

There are two main ways you can get into teaching, which is to study at a university or to study through a school. If you do it through a school, you’ll do your placement with the school and if you do it through a university, the university will provide you with a school. The course is usually a year, where you will do a mixture of practical (in the classroom with children) and theory (studying with fellow course members or at a university). At the end of your course, you’ll be awarded with a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate of Education) or a PGDipEd (Postgraduate Diploma in Education). Some of these courses will come with QTS (qualified teaching status), some will not. If it doesn’t, you will need to get a year’s teaching experience before you can apply for QTS.

If teaching is something you think you might like to do, there are so many people out there who will advise you. There are also loads of different bursaries and scholarships which could help you fund it. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *